- 1 pkg. puff pastry, frozen (app. 8-10 sheets)
- Mushroom-Almond Pate
- 1 cup almonds, ground
- 50 grams soy margarine
- 200 grams mushrooms, chopped
- 1/2 tbs. salt
- 1/2 tsp. thyme
- 1/8 tbs. white pepper
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tsp. of onion powder
- Thaw the puff pastry.
- Make the mushroom-almond pate (instructions below).
- Using a large star shaped cookie cutter, cut out star shapes. You will need 2 for each filled star.
- Oil a cookie sheet or use baking paper to keep the stars from sticking to the cookie sheet.
- Preheat the oven to the temperature indicated on the package (220 C).
- Place a star on the cookie sheet and using a spoon, place a spoonful of the mushroom pate in the center.
- Take a 2nd star, put some water along the inside edges of the star and lay it carefully over the star with the mushroom pate.
- Gently line up each of the points of the star to match, they will swell and close as they bake.
- Do this procedure for the rest of the dough.
- With the left over pieces of dough, you can put them together and roll out the dough again to cut more and thus use all of the dough.
- Bake the stars for 15-20 minutes or until golden.
- Melt the margarine, add the herbs and olive oil and sauté the mushrooms.
- Add the water and allow the mixture to season and cook off a bit.
- When the liquid is about halved, remove from the heat add the ground almonds and and puree to a fine pate.
When we prepared this recipes we made 14 stars from 10 phyllo dough sheets.