This month marked the 100th anniversary of the celebration of Mother’s Day. The celebration of the Director of Operations for the family – a.k.a. ‘MOM” – is a cherished ritual.
nothing in return. Mother’s Day gives her that something special back. That something is a special message “We see what you do for us. Thank you. You are appreciated. You are loved.” This day also reinforces the bond between mother and child, and exhibits the admiration of the spouse or partner.
The closeness I felt to my family on Mother’s Day as they lavished me with attention was amazing. I awoke to a breakfast spread of mango, pineapple, peaches and other fruit cut in the shape of hearts, stars, etc., whole-grain bread fresh from the bakery, and homemade cocoa-powder chocolate. I then dressed for church as they all cleaned the kitchen.
After church, I slipped back into my pajamas for a much-needed nap to recover from the previous 3 am – 11 pm day I had. I was awakened to a vegan chicken sandwich made lovingly by my 7-year old. Then my husband brought me a big, steaming cup of mint tea made with leaves he picked from our herb garden and palm sugar – yum!
Next I took a hot bath by candlelight with soothing music playing. I then slipped back into bed and dreamland until summoned to the dining room for a special dinner. As I rested, my husband, my 17-year old and my 7 year old took time in the kitchen preparing a vegan chicken marsala, roasted potatoes, and baby asparagus – WOW! We ate, laughed, and enjoyed the familial joy of a healthy, delicious meal Anything Vegan style. The gifts and the food showed me how much I mean to them because of the time and care they spent in making it personal and special for me.
I hope you celebrated all of the mother-figures in your life to say “I see what you do for me. Thank you. You are appreciated. You are loved.” Here’s the delicious recipe so you can make them a special Anything Vegan meal too. It matters more than you may realize. In case you need more convincing, watch this funny 4 minute video entitled “World’s Toughest Job – Director of Operations”
Easy Elegant Anything Vegan Chicken Marsala
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 30 mins
Total time: 45 mins
- 4 vegan chicken patties (breaded or unbreaded), thawed
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 8 ounces container of mushroom, sliced and cleaned
- 2 tablespoons soy butter
- ½ cup sweet marsala wine
- 1 large garlic bulb
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- ¼ cup vegetable stock
- ¼ cup sherry or dry white wine
- 1 whole garlic glove
- Optional: 3 tablespoons vegan cream
- Garnish with chopped parsley, oregano or basil
- Season each vegan chicken piece with salt and pepper on both sides.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. In a small oven-safe bowl, roast garlic bulb for 15 minutes. Cover with red wine vinegar. Peel cloves and mash or puree in blender. Set aside.
- While baking the garlic bulb, bake vegan chicken patties until they are golden brown (10 – 15 minutes). Remove and place them on your serving platter covering them with foil.
- While vegan patties and garlic are baking, get a large skillet and heat to medium. Add butter and mushrooms. Saute mushrooms for 4-5 minutes making sure to season them with salt and pepper lightly. Add marsala wine, sherry, cream, and stock allowing the liquid to reduce slightly – approx. 3 minutes. Stir in roasted garlic paste. Pour mushrooms and sauce over vegan chicken patties and serve. Enjoy!
Delicious meal paired with herb-roasted potatoes and baby asparagus!
P.S. Our most loyal customers – Win a Free ($23.20 value) day pass for two to the DC Green Festival Event May 31 through June 1 from 10 a.m. – 6 p.m.!
We invite you to vote for Anything Vegan for the Green Festival Brand Award on the Green Festival website at http://www.greenfestivals.org/exhibit/brand-award-voting. Our brand represents the best in sustainability and innovation in the green marketplace and for your help in getting the VOTE, the first 25 voters can
Vote and Win in Four Easy Steps:
- Click on http://www.greenfestivals.org/exhibit/brand-award-voting
- Scroll down to Anything Vegan and click
- Click on Submit at the bottom of the page
- Send an email to EAT@AnythingVegan.com with the subject line “I VOTED FOR ANYTHING VEGAN”
• Taste delicious Anything Vegan at Booth #636 and other vegan and vegetarian recipes and participate in educational activities for kids and families. See exhibits about new products and services for food, fashion, health, energy, construction, and design.
• Day pass: entire value must be redeemed during a single visit by same pair; valid on either May 31 or June 1 (Free admission for children 16 and under)
- 801 Mt Vernon Pl NW, Washington, DC 20001, (828) 333-9403
- VOTE NOW – http://www.greenfestivals.org/exhibit/brand-award-voting – Voting for the Green Festival Brand Award ends Thursday, May 29, 2014 at 5pm EST.
- Winners MUST receive tickets ONLINE ONLY BEFORE FRIDAY, MAY 30th, 2014